Choosing the Correct Verb Tense
1. Does Tense = Time ?
- Not Always
2. Situation and Time Words determine Time
3. Time chooses Tense (not the other way around)
4. Present Time (Now)
Present Continuous Tense
- I am eating my dinner right now.
Present Tense for “non-action” verbs
- I want some chocolate ice cream.
5. Future Time
Future with “will”
- I will leave tomorrow
Future with “be going to”
- I am going to leave tomorrow.
Future Continuous tense
- I will be leaving tomorrow.
Future with Present Continuous tense
- I am leaving tomorrow
Future with Present tense
- I leave tomorrow.
6. Past Time
Facts: Use Simple Past Tense only
- I ate my breakfast at 7:00 this morning.
Relationship between two times.
- I had eaten my breakfast when my roommate left.
Relationship between events.
- I was eating my breakfast when the telephone rang.